Saturday, June 18, 2016

A Little Farm School

Im not really sure where it all started. Maybe it started when I was born, or it went further back than that. Maybe it started the day my daughter was born. Maybe it started the day I made the biggest decision of my life, to be a single mom,  and kept making that decision. Maybe it was the day that someone asked me “If you could do anything what would you do?” I replied “I would be a teacher”. This simple sentence, these 5 words, this soul-honest statement has set into motion a series of events that is so much bigger than me. A ball rolling that no person could conceive of - maybe there is a God? And He/She planned this, but I find that hard to drink down, because where does my free will come in? Maybe The Universe has a plan and it will push you in that direction until you bump your head so many times on the wrong path, that bruised, broken and very damaged, through many lessons, tears, blood, laughter, hate, sorrow, forgiveness, humility, friendship and love, you come out onto the right path. But you had to go down the bumpy road (a few too many times if you ask me), to have all the knowledge that is needed to partake on the right journey. 

There is so many things that lead to this point, that Im not sure where to start. So maybe here is a good place…That sunny day at the Talent Market, at Asante, sitting on the grass, with all my friends around, trading, laughing, sharing. My daughter is somewhere eating something and climbing onto someone. We are all a family and we all look out for our own. I have truly been welcomed into this amazing community, and without these beautiful people around me, I would have been a very lost soul. I was a very damaged woman, and these friends took my daughter and I in, gave us love, laughter, food and friendship. I thank you. So on this lovely summer’s day, amongst the music and laughter, I sit and chat with a beautiful, buxom woman, Helen. We have just met and I am selling some of the unnameable’s things that have been in my garage for too long. I was desperately unhappy in my current job, and knew that I was made for greater things than organising events. It was not my forte and took me away, days, nights and long hours, from my girl, my sunshine child, the reason for my breath. The world was pushing me to find something new, but I was so lost and could not see. She asked me the most profound question of my life, and one that has changed everything. “`if you could do anything (job-wise) what would you do?”, I sat and thought, and the most honest answer I could think of, even though it was bat shit crazy, and would NEVER happen, I replied “ I would be a teacher”. *PING* went the lightbulb in my head. I then talked myself down and said it would never happen, I don’t have a degree, I’m too old to start a new career (at 28 I might add) and so on went the head, when my heart was crying for the simple statement to come true. She said to me, you don’t need a degree, I’m a teacher, and I started teaching without a formal education. Well, that was it. I was sold. I was going to be a teacher. How? No idea. 

So I did what I do best, really well, like a pro! I wrote a letter. And I sent it everywhere. Every single school in the Western Cape and all the Montessori and Waldorf Schools in the country. I was determined to be a teacher. 

The LETTER:

Good day,
I would like to apply at your school for a position as a teacher or assistant teacher. 
My passion in life lies with children, it always has. In my schooling, my teachers made all the difference to my educational motivation, as well as overall in every aspect of growing up. I loved school and excelled in English - having won an English Literature Scholarship to my high school, Penryn College. Another talent I had was Drama. At age 13, I won a silver medal runner-up in the South African Drama Championships - even after forgetting to introduce myself to the judges! My Drama teacher was a larger than life lady, and she will forever be an icon in my life. She contracted cancer shortly before my finals and her lack in my tutorship has left a deep hole, even now, 15 years later. Teacher's are the pinnacle to children's futures. I understand this so deeply and am so passionately eager to start in the education industry. 
When I finished school at age 17, being very impatient to step into the adult world, I studied my O and A levels, and completed both in one year. There were two choices in front of me, the film industry or studying to teach. I chose the film industry, and spent 11 very happy, hard working years doing what I loved. In all the excitement of the entertainment industry, I had a nagging lack in life. When your career revolves around making things "look good" it left me empty. I wanted to make a difference to people's lives. Yet, this was my chosen career and I gave everything to it. English took a back seat for me, even though I continued to write poetry and essays on the side. I started a long distance English Degree in 2008, and completed 4 subjects. Passing with flying colours and a few distinctions. However I chose to leave my studies to concentrate all my efforts to the film industry. 
With the birth of my daughter in 2015, everything changed for me. I left my career and moved away from Cape Town to the Garden Route. I chose to raise my daughter in a safe, beautiful environment, with a mom that is present in her life. I started working as an Events Co-ordinator, again making sure that people's entertainment was my priority. I have given this field a good run, yet still it leaves a void, I want to make a difference. I want to work with children, they are the difference. 
It has taken me a year of searching and asking myself, researching and talking to people, and I realise the question I keep asking myself "what do I want to do with my life?" Is pointing me in the direction of education. It has always been the answer. Even as a young child, when asked what I wanted to do, I wanted to be a marine biologist(I get sea sick), a film producer (because everyone wanted to be a Director and I was different) and an english teacher. I want to give back to the community, in the way that my teachers transformed my life and have grown in me an insatiable passionate love for English Literature and learning. 
I am in the process of applying to start a long distance teaching degree, at the University of Pretoria. This is the first step in the career that I am born for. I am passionate, caring (often too much, but then, can we ever care too much for the eager hearts of children), loyal, creative and honest. 
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, I look forward to setting up a meeting soon. 
Best,
Talia Day

And I waited, a few replies trickled in, the usual thanks but no thanks. I was determined and kept the positivity going, every no is one step closer to my yes. I received a lot of no’s. A lot.

Dear Talia,
Thank you for your inspiring letter, we do not have a position available, but our Principal would like to meet you.
Yours Sincerely,
The Secretary (Of the most prestigious private school in the area)

Well! I was so excited I could barely sleep for the whole week. The day rolled up and I was so nervous. I dressed in my most formal outfit, a black dress, black tights, black school shoes (ironic much) and my hair was neatly back with a touch of make up. Nervous as anything I walked in the front doors. The Principal firmly shook my hand, said I’m not offering you a position young lady, but I had to meet the person that had the courage to write such an inspiring letter. You did write this letter? Um, Yes Your Highness I did! (Not quite my reply, but almost) He went on to say that he would have hired me right then and there if I had some educational backing, but because the school is run by a board, they would not accept me. He strongly advised that my next step was to study (and my balloon went pfffffffffffffft! POP!). He sat back in his chair, shook his head and said, wow, with a CV like yours, and that letter that you wrote, I just had to meet you. Thank you, I replied, and was shortly thereafter dismissed. 
Words cannot be put down to describe the level of my disappointment, I hit such a low, that I was ready to give up. All the no’s were really starting to build a foundation upon my depression. Brick by brick, upon my coffin, layered with the self doubt again, that I had so briefly overcome. With a heavy heart, and a dim shimmer of determination I started researching a degree in education. UNISA are really overworked and now, 5 months later, they still have not replied to my application. I went in to the branch only to be told that I can’t apply for a degree because I have an incomplete degree and I have to do a 1 year course to prove myself. Ok… (Really! The bureaucracy! It boggles the brain - to coin a saying from my mom) Application sent! A Short Learning Diploma in Early Childhood Development. Well, Im still waiting for a reply on that one too. 

Rodriguez.
I had resigned from my position as events co-ordinator with the company, and was working out my resignation period, when I got a phone call from a lovely American lady. We chatted for a while and the gist of the conversation was that Rodriguez (THE Sugar Man) was in Wilderness and he wanted to do a Free Youth Concert and Open Mic session with the kids. Can I organise it? We want to do it on Valentines Day Sunday, it was Wednesday. I had 4 days. . . . . Ok then! Facebook post. Done. My phone did not stop ringing until eventually I turned it onto silent and had a standard message. People came from all over the country, Johannesburg, Parys, The Karoo, Mpumalanga, people cancelled their 50th anniversary trips to Mauritius to attend the concert. It was amazing. Rodriguez and his family are the most wonderful, kind, gentle, soft and caring people. We raised funds, free sound and technicians and got sponsorships for food. We organised underprivileged kids to share the stage with the big man and a whole group of local talent. What an amazing day it was! I felt so honoured to shake the hand of this iconic man, and to know his beautiful family. To the Rodriguez camp, I thank you. 
I get a phone call on the Monday, Taal-Ya! (in her gorgeous American accent) she says they’re outside and Rodriguez needs to speak to me. So me, naturally, (why do we always do this?) I think, I’ve done something wrong! I’ve made a boo-boo and said something inappropriate and the Rodriguez camp is here to sue me and scream at me, drag me off kicking and screaming to the depths of their dungeon to rot there like the lowly events co-ordinator that I am. I run, to reception. She takes my hand and says, “I don’t think we should do this here, can you please come outside”. (Oh my holy boo-boo, they’ve got tuxedo clad bouncers outside that are going to whisk me away in a nameless van and no-one will ever hear or see of the-one-that-failed-Rodriguez.) We walk outside, she takes my hand and puts a slightly larger than enormous wad of R100 notes into my hand. 

*BLANK*BLANK*BLANK* 
(my brain’s synapses failed to function at this point)

“You did such an amazing job at organising the show, and Rodriguez wants to thank you, and everyone that was a part of it. This all the money he can draw from his account in the US, and we have spread it amongst everyone that was involved.” she says to me. (Sorry, I’m still blanking away.) “Its R5000, Im sorry its not more”… The tears, just fell. I had no words. I just stood there shaking. Crying (like an idiot). My shoulders shaking I just stood there and cried (like such an idiot). She kindly hugged me and I just cried (ok, really, you’re getting snot on her shoulder, you idiot!). At that point, I had had R9,85 to my name, and pay day was 11 days away. I went to their car, greeted the man himself (THE Wonder Man), we shared a laugh, a hug and a rock ’n roll handshake. From the bottom of my heart, from the depths of my soul, I thanked him. It was a profound moment in my life, a moment of complete humility and such an overwhelming sense of gratefulness, not just for the money, but for the experience of meeting The Man himself and for being a small part of his big world. I was completely humbled. 

The Next Yes

Dear Talia,
Thank you for your wonderful letter, our Principal would like to meet you.
Yours sincerely,
Dawn
Knysna Montessori School

“I’m sorry to say that the position has already been filled” she says to me as I walk in to the office. (So then WHY AM I HERE!!!!!!!???????) “but, a CV like this, with such an inspiring letter does not pass over my desk very often, and I had to meet you”. (Again!!! Ok, thanks Universe, but my nerves really can’t take this anymore, interviews are scary, ok!) We proceeded to have a lovely chat and she asked me if I would be interested in signing up as a stand-in teacher for when she needs someone? Of course yes! I will! But (and maybe I should have done more research) I really don’t know much about Montessori… only that it is an alternative education system, and I want my daughter to attend a Montessori school (This makes me sound very clever, neh!) The product of this meeting ended with me meeting Taddy (as she is fondly known by all) the founder of the school and the Teacher Trainer. This all happened in the span of about an hour. I was so excited to meet her, the lady who had an oil painting portrait at the entrance to the school (very posh). R36 500,00. Shit.
R36 500,00 to do a teacher’s training. Double shit. Balloon = Boom! (pffffffffffffffft!)
Ok, who do I know thats REALLY rich? No. Can I get a loan? No. Student loan? No, can’t afford to pay it back. At this point, I have a part time job with the most incredible woman, Flea (I still don’t know how she got the nickname). It gets me by, just. Just. Ok, can I put on a short skirt and stick out a leg? No. Can I sell my body on the internet? No. Can I sell my car? No. Am I in anyone’s will that I can maybe, you know, off. No. Gosh. I’m so out of ideas and even more desperate to get together the cash to study to be a teacher! (Now, please note, all of this goes through my mind whilst I’m sitting in front of Taddy, and smiling.) I’m sorry, I can’t afford it. I would give anything (here I really am contemplating giving everything, like my body and soul) to do this training. She smiles kindly at me and says, I offer the training myself, but its only a South African qualification, and thats R15 000.00 - (well thats R20 500 less than what I was just contemplating murder on). Done! I have R4500 deposit right now (thank you Rodriguez) and, can I pay off the rest? (Thats become my standard question, can I pay you off? Quite funny actually. I paid off my daughter’s birthday present, R50 a month for 4 months.)
I was her only student and would be receiving one-on-one training. I was nervous, excited and curious! I honestly had no idea what I had signed on for, and oh my goodness, was I in for a shock. 
A good shock. With our first session, I knew without a hesitation in my mind, that this was what I was supposed to be doing. The Montessori Method was what my brain was designed for. It made such complete sense to me, everything just went *click*click*click* into place. I realised that my whole life, my way of thinking, my experiences, my daughter, everything had lead me to this point. This learning. I am going to be a teacher. I am going to be a Montessori Teacher. This has become a mantra for me, I am going to be a Montessori Teacher. I had found my calling. My soul’s purpose upon this earth. And my studies began.

A Brief Acquaintance
With my new awesome, amazing, wonderful part time job in the fairy forest, I was travelling very far to work everyday. Now, there is only one person, me, that travels to this exact location. A lady that lives on the same farm as my father, heard from my Gift Mom that I travelled to said location, and she worked at the neighbouring farm, could I give her a lift one day? Sure! I’m always up for a hitch hiker and some petrol money. We started chatting, and I dropped her off at the office, in the forest. We arranged a meeting place and I went off to work. Pick up time comes and no hitchiker. Off I got to the office and poke around “hallo-ing” away, fending off the terrifyingly deadly friendly Labradors. A lady comes out, friendly as anything and introduces herself (name = gone, my brain is a sieve for names). She directs me to where my fellow traveller is waiting, and I carry on my merry way.  
A few days later, at Pick n Pay, a women walks up to me, all smiles and greets me as if we are the oldest of friends. I’m thinking, uh, should I run, or is she a customer of the studio? Anyway I pretend to know her too, and we chat like old friends. Eventually, I just can’t take it anymore, Im sorry, but who are you? (Ego, into pocket, embarrassed much?) She laughed, said she’s forgotten my name too, we met at the farm the other day. Oh ja! Thats it. *click*
A few days later, I bump into Belinda again, I’m in the car, she’s running (no one is chasing her, she is doing it for fun), and we start chatting and she says she is home schooling her kids and I mention that I’m studying Montessori. Conversation ends and we go our separate ways. A very brief acquaintance.

31 May 2016 - 19:02 
My phone rings. Thats enough to send any mother off a cliff. Suicide hour, as we fondly nickname it, is between 18:00 and 19:00. The baby had just gone down and she was still singing herself to sleep, which can take between 30 seconds and 2.7 hours, when the dastardly phone rang. Trying to sprint quietly is quite comical and I am so glad that no one was there to see it. It was my daughter’s pre-school Principal. Oh gosh, I thought, she's phoning me to shout at me because the school fees are late (Why do we always jump to negative conclusions). “Hello?” This phone call has changed my life. 
“Hi Talia, its Karen. I heard that you are studying to be a Montessori Teacher, when do you qualify?”
“Hi!” (huh?! This isn’t the blasting I was expecting) “Yes, I am studying, I’m due to qualify in December”
“Talia, I want to give you the pre-school”
*BLANK* - “Excuse me?”
“Haha! I want to know if you would like to take over the pre-school as the principal, owner and teacher?”
“I’m sorry, you want me to do what?” (I can be quite stupid at times)
“The school was given to me 5 years ago, I have loved it, and now it is time for it to be given onto someone else. Someone that is going to take it and run with it, make it into an amazing little school, and I know in my heart that you are the one. I want to know if you will take it, everything, the children, the equipment, the playground, everything…”
“I’m sorry, you want to GIVE me the school?” (At this point Im sure she was rethinking this, because I was definitely sounding thicker than a concrete wall.)
“Yes! Your name has come my way from Bellinda and another mom, and I want to ask you if you will consider taking over the school?” (WHO THE HELL IS BELINDA?? My brain is now going into overdrive to think who it could be…Lekker idiot)
“Uh… Like, the whole school? The kids and the building and the everything?” (My englishness is very deliciousness here)
“Well, no,” (I KNEW there was a catch!) “We will move the school to a new location, closer to town, which will bring more kids, and its a live in position, so you will have to move. But otherwise everything else is included, the kids, the equipment, the playground, the furniture, the fridge, the stove, the tables and chairs, everything, except the goats and donkey. Its yours, if you will consider taking it.”
“I’m sorry, I’m not sure that I’m understanding you properly.” (A la concrete wall stupid) “You want to GIVE me the pre-school? For nothing?”
“Yes.” (I can hear her mind going, maybe I should reconsider, this one is a bit on the thick side)
“Why me?”
“Because I know you are the right person, it feels right.” (she has met me for all of 3 minutes and I was asking for a discount on school fees. Blind)

I went into shock, sat down, poured a glass of wine, and did what anyone does in a situation. I called my mom.

Mom, don't get a shock, are you sitting down?


To be continued…

3 comments:

  1. Noooo... I hit the to be continued and said exactly that... No! Talia this is absolutely wonderful news and I can't wait to hear the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samantha, I will post again soon!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete